"Let's have a merry journey, and shout about how light is good and dark is not. What we should do is not future ourselves so much. We should now ourselves. "NOW thyself" is more important than "Know thyself." Reason is what tells us to ignore the present and live in the future. So all we do is make plans. We think that somewhere there are going to be green pastures. It's crazy. Heaven is nothing but a grand, monumental instance of future. Listen, now is good. Now is wonderful." ~ Mel Brooks

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wintery Watercolors


Kiki woke up at 1:30am this morning not feeling well. We ended up getting out of bed around 2:30am and having a little party in the living room. I made a big nest on the sofa with lots of blankets and towels; for the inevitable yuck :(  We got all snuggled in and watched a movie. Time passed by slowly as Kiki went in and out of sleepiness and feeling terrible. I held her close, rubbed her little back, and just wrapped her in all the love I could give in hopes that she would soon find comfort and drift to sleep.


Around 4am, that finally happened. I sat watch as she slept soundly. I sat quietly, looking around our darkly lit home, then it dawned on me; this time would be the most alone time and quietness I would experience all day, so I took advantage of it! I made a cup of coffee, wrapped myself in a woolly blanket and caught up on recent blog posts that I had been wanting to read (and Instagram photos!) while crafting some homemade goodies for the children for their St. Nicholas treats.

One post I read was by Joy at You know how we're an art family...... She listed some Advent activities and one caught my eye from passengers on a little spaceship. I thought that activity would make lovely holiday cards and at 4am I was feeling pretty darn ambitious! Sleep deprivation or otherwise known as slap-happy!!


Soon enough the house began to wake up. Charlotte came out in a flurry of words. She had this wildly impressive dream, there was a bear and he was blue like the ocean and sparkly. And there was this little boy who he was friends with who was also blue and had hair like a mountain! My head was spinning from the crazy antics of these two little sprites who visited her in her dreams. As we sat together I realized I had seen a similar vision, a bit less dramatic, but nonetheless, blue, sparkly, and beautiful.

I told Charlotte what I had seen in the early morning and we agree we should get right down to it. Here is a little photo op of our early morning creative expression.......

 
Here Charlotte is drawing her picture with some painter's tape
 
 
Now, she is painting over the tape with some blue watercolors
 
 
 
Charlotte is sprinkling some salt (coarse and fine) all over her painting
 
 
This is her finished painting!
I love how the colors fade and deepen because of the way the salt pulls the paint to and fro.
 
We were both quite pleased with the outcome and Charlotte especially felt like it was a perfect representation of her dream. Awesome way to begin our day!
 
On the flip side, Kiki is pulling through. Her eyes are sparkly and she's playing. So all in all, if I had to be up all night it was definitely worth it for so many reasons........although I am my most certainly looking forward to an early bed night!
 
Blessings to you on this colorful day xo 
 

5 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful to realize the magic of the moment in the middle of the night with the little ones. I all to often forget to just embrace the precious, "extra" waking moments with mine. And I love the art work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not easy, sometimes, though.....is it?! I think that with each passing year I realize how quickly time has gone and I look back on those moments wishing I had reacted differently. I'm getting better about being more present in my waking moments and honoring each precious day I am given.....I'm a work in progress. Aren't we all? xo

      Delete
  2. we are planning a similar art project for later in the coming weeks.
    i love how you took what could be a frustrating early morning/ middle of the night experience and made it lovely and beautiful for your wee sick one. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* I miss sleep :) but I'm also really aware that in just a short time I will be able to sleep in as long as I want. I honestly don't look forward to those days because that will mean my littles have grown.....these days are numbered, and as I get older, I am more and more aware at how precious every moment is! I hope this finds you well, my friend xo

      Delete
  3. I love the art project, I have got to try the salt on watercolors, the result is so pretty! Hope everyone is feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete

I very much enjoy connecting with you in this space. If you feel inspired to leave a comment, please do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...